Monday, 13 June 2011

Barramundi In Banana Leaves

The star - descaled and gutted by our fishmonger

Plonked on banana leaves and slathered with spice paste

"Nail" in his "coffin"

After 25 minutes in the oven

Slathered with more spice paste

Eaten with green mango and cucumber acar

Recipe (click on images to enlarge) from this month's Australian Gourmet Traveller

Things I would do differently the next time I make it:
- Stir-fry spice paste, to release all the fragrant goodness, before adding the coconut milk
- I wouldn't add all of the prescribed amount of coconut milk - made the paste runny and unpaste-like
- Cut down on the amount of lime juice too - I love the hot and sour combo in food but it was just was too tart

Our barra pal turned out alright but next time, it'll be better!

4 comments:

abcdetc said...

Oh I nearly had some the other night. Based on the name alone.

(Shame on me that I didn't know what it was?
Never mind, I heck care what the hovering waiter would think and I asked my dining partner what Baramundi is anyway. Chey! Hovering waiter butted in. This was at a new place in Duxton serving English food: The Jackson Plan. I had a fish pie instead when I discovered it was in mash)

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

I don't usually like freshwater fish (there's a lingering muddy aftertaste) but I don't mind the barramundi if it's cooked well.

I would have gone for the fish pie too! Pies topped with mash! Nyum! xx

abcdetc said...

one lives and learns. no-one mentioned it was freshwater. and yeh, it was once pointed out to me that freshwater fish it tastes less of the fish and more of the water it was in.

the one on the menu was served w/ masala. 25.90 bucks.

fish pie had nicest peas i ever ate hiding in there w/ very nice salmon and other soft fish bits.

crab cakes w/ fried quail eggs on top for starters. nyom. want photos?

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Nyum! Love the sound of your starter!!!!!
The next time we're home, you have to take us there! xx