Saturday, 16 April 2011

We're Back, Mama Chu!

We used to go to Mother Chu's in Chinatown for Taiwanese "small eats" very often. This was pre-blog days, when we first moved to Sydney. My Aussie pal G, an Asian food fanatic, was the one who first brought me there. Then, over time, the boyfriend and I discovered more cute little places to eat at in the area and stopped going to Mama's. We kind of forgot that she exists, really. Which is kind of absurd because we walk under this neon sign at least once a week on our way to the Asian supermarket!

Last weekend, I don't know what triggered it off but a "Eat At Mother Chu's!" sign, as bright as the neon, flashed in my head and "small eats" it was for late afternoon shnacks on Sunday!

We shared this to start - the tofu (nyum nyum!) was mine and the boyfriend ate the disgusting century eggs (*retch*).

The boyfriend's oysters + pig's intestines (*double retch*) rice noodles. Always food-curious, I had a little sip of the gravy and man, it was deliciously XO-saucy! The next time we go back, I'm going to order the same thing. Without the yucky bits. Just the noodles and sauce.

My shallot + egg pancake. A must-have at Mother Chu's! It's still as good as the last time I had it. I seriously wonder why we stopped going.

And an icy preserved plum drink to wash it all down. I love this sweet and sour drink! Particularly after a greasy meal. It really cleanses the palate.

We definitely back in Mama's bosom!

Mother Chu's Taiwanese Gourmet
Shop 1-4
86-88 Dixon Street
Phone: 9211 0288
Opening Hours: Daily 8.30am to 8.30pm

2 comments:

hollypop said...

puuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

intestines!!!!!!
tell k i think he has some balls eating that!
i want to try that plum drink. i like sour/sweet.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

I know! Puke, right?!

But he loves to eat animal "insides"! If you look at older posts under "Grub Hub", you'll see.

That plum drink is PHWOAR, man! xx