Thursday, 27 January 2011

Darren, Oh, Darren!

Have a stiff drink within easy reach if you're going to watch Black Swan. I didn't know that I'll be needing one, not for second, as the 108-minute-long movie played in front of me because I was so sucked in by all that was going on. However, when the final curtain fell, like the snap of a magician's fingers to bring his volunteer from the audience out of a trance on stage, my chest was one big cold hollow. Director Darren Aronofsky has done it again! Black Swan is not as strong a film as his earlier one, the brilliant Requiem for a Dream, (that required more than one stiff drink post-viewing) but the "unsettling" factor was present nonetheless. Albeit in a smaller dose. The man is good. A master of that style of mindfuckery that is unique to him.

Watch Black Swan at a cinema that's close to a pub. Or better yet, go to a cinema with its own bar. If cheeky drinkie-poos are not your thing, maybe have a copy of the documentary, Ballets Russes, waiting for you to pop into the player when you get home. It works just as well as a stiff one warming that big cold hollow.

2 comments:

tweedelaan.com said...

I loved Black Swan, but I'm not quite sure if I could watch it again. I was gagging through some parts of the film. Quite full on.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hello Natasha (or is it Roxy/),
We watched Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere" the night after and everytime there was a shot of the main character looking into a mirror, we half-expected him to start shredding bits of skin off himself. Haha!

Thank you for stopping by! xx