Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Selling vs Buying

I didn't do too well on the selling front at A Little Bazaar on Saturday. Can't expect to rake it in every market day, can I? But I think I did good with the buying. Or, when rationalising my cheeky purchases to the boyfriend, "supporting my fellow makers-of-things".

I squeal with delight whenever I see clever things. Like this handcrafted ceramic takeaway noodles box by Nicholas of Nicked Design.

A clever name too! For someone who's cheekily nicked the design of an everyday object and reinterpreted it. And I'm a sucker for such witty and sometimes slightly-mindfucking "object-reinterpretations" (some examples here, here, here and here). This is Nicholas' first "nicked" design (he said I was the second person in the whole world to own one) and I can't wait to see what he "steals" next!

About the ceramic boxes: They are "100% handmade in Sydney by local craftsmen" and are "dishwasher-safe" and "safe for both hot and cold food presentation". You can have one with the characters "食物" ("food" in Chinese) painted on the front but I opted for a plain one. Because I'm Chinese enough already. Haha.

I'd love to eventually have a set of 6 or 8. Would be hilarious to have for a noodles- or cheap Chinese takeaway-themed party! And I think they would make great gifts too.

They are going for AU$40 for one or AU$100 for a set of three. He hasn't got an online shop set up yet but if you want some of his cute boxes for yourself or your pals, you can find Nicholas here.

A new add-on collar to add to my collection! By the lovely Gena of Jelly's Edible Wearables who's also the organiser of A Little Bazaar.

I love her new range of colourful fabric collars! Can't wait to pile some of my own Empress Dowager's New Jewels on this happy printed green one! I think they'll make great pals!

Her collars are all reversible. Boring me picked one with a plain underside but Gena's got loads with printed fabrics on both sides (I got one of those but it's a pressie so I can't show it just yet. Tee hee hee.)

The collars are so new that they are not up on Gena's website but if you get in touch with her, I'm sure she'll be able to sort you out with some. I think they will make great Summer accessories! I'll be wearing mine heaps, I think, with all my whites.

5 comments:

hollypop said...

i really wish i had of come by. maybe if there's a next time!
i think your noodle box is adorable.
'd love to have a pair for when i make asian-style dinners.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Hollypoppadum,
I hope there will be a next time too!
Write to Nicholas at Nicked Designs for the noodle box!
I'm sure he'll be happy to hear from you! x

Stephicino said...

Okay...I need one of those noodle boxes in my life! Can't get that link in your blog post to work- do you have an email address, or know if there's now an online shop??
Great post :0)

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hello Stephicino,
Hmmm...I think Nicholas might have given up the web address?

I don't have his email address but I'll email the organiser of the market to ask for it?

Will post a comment here when I get news. x

Nicholas Esdaile-Watts said...

Hi Hollypop and The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things,

It's great to hear that you both appreciate my design.

I only now discovered your blog - The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things - and am so sorry both of you were unable to get a hold of me.

Please feel free to contact me at n.esdailewatts@gmail.com if you would like to purchase a bowl.. I still have a few left from my second production run - so might be able to do you a special deal ;)

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.esdaile-watts.com