Friday, 16 October 2009

New Manbag

Fell in love with this tan leather and suede tool pouch on one of my recent visits to the hardware store. I went in for craft materials but I love going in periodically, even when I have nothing specific to buy, just to look at all the butch man-things, dreaming of the day when the boyfriend and I have a proper toolshed to fill.

Until then (or ever!), I don't really have a need for a tool pouch, really. But I bought it anyway (it was too good-looking to let go of), with the intention of turning it into a handbag. And off I went to see my sweet old bag-repair man. A must-have in my little floral-print address book in every city that I plan on living in, after a good hairdresser, a good shoe-repair man and a good clothes-alteration man.

My bag-repair man might be old but he's pretty hip-and-with-it and has never frowned upon my hairbrain ideas when I go see him with one, when some other old dude would most probably go, "What? You want me to do this? And this? And this? Why?!". My man, he's like the ever-supportive father that every kid wished they had.

I told him that I needed two holes with grommets...

...so I can put in rings to attach a chain handle to (to add to the manly hardware store feel).

To which he answered, "No problem, darling".

And a strap in matching tan leather, for days when I don't feel like using the chain.

One that is adjustable in length.

And could he also please cover up the ugly logo on the front.

I picked my new bag up a week later, on Wednesday, and my old dude has done it again! Perfection!

Can't wait to use it!

6 comments:

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Bloody clever, that's what you are. Love it. xx

sel said...

love that leather strap!

flying carpet said...

Wow, that turned out awesome!
Love the sound of your repair man

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Top Bird,
*blush* Now, for the ultimate test - will it fit all my bare essentials and keep them in (no fasteners at all)? xx




Hey Miss Nah-nah,
The foldover strap is actually the clever old man's idea. I was thinking punched holes for length adjustment but he suggested big press studs since I only needed two lengths. xx






Hey Carpie,
If you ever need leather repair of any sort (bags, belts, wallets...), let me know.

He likes pretty girls so he can get a little chatty and touchy-feely - he says some people don't like it but I just think it's a grandpa kind of thing. xx

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I loves it...Mummy Imelda thinks her Likkle Girl might have birthed a haute new trend!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Mommy Imelda,
Now all we need is a name for it! xx