Monday, 7 September 2009

The Likkle Girl Goes Back To School

Binder notebook - ✔
Lunchbox - ✔
Cute writing instruments - ✔

Went for my first lesson today in Beading and Embellishment: The Secrets of Haute Couture (sounds kinda posh but I don't know if it will be...yet) - a six-week evening course that I signed up for about a month ago at the local ESMOD.

I thought I should make good use of my state of jobless-ness and go polish up my self-taught embroidery skills and, at the same time, learn something new like beading. All of which will come in useful one day should I decide to add some bling to the jewels. Or if I want to present my yet-to-be-wed pals with an embellished heirloom wedding dress. And their first-born with a hand-beaded christening gown. You know, that sort of thing.

Anyway, the two-hour class went well. Our teacher has really good credentials - a textile graduate with years of experience in the industry (Versace and McQueen were two of the houses he worked at) and in teaching. Class size is a tiny seven - loads of attention from the teacher for each student. Everyone is really nice except for one Miss Perky-Know-It-All-Self-Appointed-Class-Monitor (every class that I've been to seems to have one) who did my head in in the first five minutes already.

We went back to basics starting with the running stitch and there's already homework to be done! Starting with a research paper due next week on the theme for our final design and more papers on other related topics have to be handed in each week. It sure is not going to be as cruise-y as I thought it'd be, this going-back-to-school business!

14 comments:

Jin6655321 said...

Oooh... I like your Kuromi pen (and pencil?) set! Cute pens and notebooks are what I miss the most about going to school.

Good luck with your class!

flying carpet said...

^^ I agree - the best thing about study is the stationary!
Ohh I hate those know-it-alls! But you're right, there is always one. Lucky there isn't more!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Jin,
Haha! Your eyes are indeed sharp!
My pals back in Singapore send me Hello Kitty and friends stuff from time to time cos they know that I still love them at my age and they are hard to come by here.

Thank you!!!! x





Hey Ms Carpet,
Haha! I've still got boxes of cutesy notebooks, pans and such back at my parents'. Wish they were here so I can use them.

Plus she was so perky and fake-friendly! Gah!! xx

yAnn said...

Haha you are nice - I would have visualised myself smacking Miss Class Monitor with the lunch box within 5 minutes of meeting her. :P Gosh, I am belligerent...

shilvia said...

love love love your cute writing instruments hahahaaa...!!!whoaaa...esmod sounds like fun!!!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey yAnn,
Hor boh?
If it was twenty years ago, I think I would have made her cry but I've mellowed with age. Haha. Not as belligerent AND impetuous as before. x



Hey Shilvia,
And I can walk to school! x

monkeycrab said...

Wah! How brave of you to go back to school! We has been thinking about it for a long time now and frankly quite afraid to commit.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey MonkeyCrab,
It's only a evening course, one night a week for six weeks. But I'd love to go back to "real" school, though.

I think if you find something that you love and enjoy learning about, you'll see it through. x

monkeycrab said...

Ya I know. I am hesitant mostly because of my crazy work hours... well.. cant be helped... :x

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey again, MonkeyCrab,
Correspondence or part-time courses? x

chou said...

Seriously, my school problem is summed up in NOT having these three things. No checks next to ANY on your list. Argh.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Haha, Chou! But I see you as a girl who takes her own delicious homemade lunches to school everyday! x

monkeycrab said...

Ok I didn't mean school school, but more like a photography or photo editing related course. Even at 1 night a week, i'm still quite hesitant as i'm sure i wont be able to make time for assignments and such.

oh well, i think eventually i'll do it. but just need to wait til the work madness dies down a bit!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey MonkeyCrab,
Paiseh! I thought you meant school school. Haha!

I guess it depends on the course. I wasn't expecting so much homework for mine but it's taken up quite a bit of my time. Which I enjoyed because I like doing research and sewing.

You like taking photos so I'm sure you'll feel the same - loads of learning fun and not at all like chores. x