Sunday, 24 May 2009

Holy Cannoli!

The annual Primo Italiano fest in the "Little Italy" of our neighbourhood has always been about the elusive canolli for me.

The first year we were there, the lady before me in the queue bought the last one. Last year, they were sold out before we got there. This year, determined to taste at least one, we arrived half-an-hour after they opened. Third time lucky!

They were good but not as good as I had imagined them to be - the ones that I make (when I can be bothered) taste better. I think it's also got to do with the thrill-of-the-chase factor - what I can't have is always the best, in my head, until I have it.

The other perk for being early this year was having first dips on the huge selection of beautiful fresh produce for sale.






















From this very nice man, we bought a bag of Black Russian tomatoes, a bunch of baby leeks, a head of cauliflower, a bag of peas, a bunch of shallots...






















some herbs from his cute "pigeon hole" display...

and a bunch of rhubarb. All for $20!






















A harvest-ful day for us (that's Troy, our trusty fat trolley) and our pals!

7 comments:

WendyB said...

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

katiecrackernuts said...

Looks gorgeous. I keep meaning to book into a gourmet safari of the inner suburbs. I did a Cabramatta one years ago and it was brilliant.

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Ms B -
Wahahahahahahahahaha!

"Bada-bing! Bada-bom!" xx




Katie -
Oh! I didn't know about these organised gourmet safari's. What fun!

The boyfriend and I love Cabramatta! The first time we went, I got a bit of a "culture" shock - I've been so used to being the "only Chink in the village" at most places in Sydney and was a bit taken aback to find so many other Asians in one place and not one Caucasian face in sight! Haha! I mean, we go to Chinatown in the city very often but there have always been a good mix of races?

If you want to do a DIY food tour in my neighbourhood of Surry Hills, I'd be happy to point you to a few of my favourite places. x

Gervy said...

So sorry I missed you. But maybe it was for the best, you probably would have made me lug your veg-edibles around. xxx

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

But I have the boyfriend and Troy the trolley to do that, Gigi!

However, you know by now that the things that needed real lugging that day sure weren't the greens. xx

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Do you know that cannoli is one of my most favourite sweet treats?

Although I once I had a v. bad experience in Rome. Methinks they had been sitting in the counter a bit too long... It felt like I was vomiting apples later that night (apologies for violent description and possible over-sharing). xx

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

No, you're not oversharing, you poor Birdie! The ricotta must have had gone foul. Hope it didn't put you off cannoli after.

If you like, I can send you a very easy recipe for the shells. No more dodgy cannoli if you make your own. xx