Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Still On A Japanese Kick...

Last night's dinner was the fourth meal that I've made using recipes from The Japanese Kitchen (Poochie, you sure are getting your money's worth! And muaksy "thank you" again).

It was a very tasty noodle dish with shimeji mushrooms. The natural light in our apartment was gone by the time the boyfriend got home so here's the photo from the book. My bowl of noodles looked the same and I think that's the beauty of this book - simple, quick and delicious meals that you can't fuck up.

The mushrooms the author used were shimeji and dried porcini. I used organic shimeji and shiitake because I didn't have any porcini in the larder.

However, I did have some porcini-infused olive oil so I used that instead of the plain olive oil prescribed.

And since the theme was mushrooms, I added a dollop of Tetsuya's Black Truffle Salsa, which was sitting in the fridge, at the end. I'm a huge fan of the stuff (and the man) ever since we had his Truffle Butter on bread rolls at his restaurant. That black paste instantly "luxes" up everything!

I'm not going to post the recipe this time because if I keep doing it, no one would go get their own copy of The Japanese Kitchen!

4 comments:

E(ileen) said...

Oh I could not stand it, I bought a copy of the book from Abe Books, hardcover, from NYC, it came up to USD17.22, which is still cheaper than the paperback versions found here in Australia!

And I agree about the truffle salsa, it is fantastic and I would use it for just about anything if I could!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Wahahahahaha! At least someone went out and got a copy! Maybe I should start selling cookbooks for a living.

I eat it out of the jar with a spoon sometimes. Hee.

E(ileen) said...

I just found out why it's so cheap -- estimated date of arrival: July 2009?!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Har?!!! They are sending it by sea-mail?

Too late to cancel the order?