Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Materials: Canvas vs Leather

Canvas bags and shoes by Slow And Steady Wins The Race

If you've read the last two "Materials:" posts, it's easy to tell what's been occupying my headspace lately - they were meant to be one huge post, together with this, but I broke them down.

I don't know for sure but I'd like to think that both Jeroen van de Kant with his inflatable chesterfield sofas and Natalia Brilli with her faceless leather-wrapped "Rolex"-es are making some form of statement, as various conceptual artists and designers do sometimes, about the ostentatiousness of certain material objects that we have come to associate with wealth and social standing.

However, with Slow And Steady Wins The Race, a label whose philosophy and goods I've been admiring since I first laid eyes on their cheeky pair of Ballet Flats, they pointedly set out "to make work commenting on how obsessed people have become with accessories and turning them into iconic status symbols" and more.

The "Ultimate" Bag by Slow And Steady Wins The Race

Pretty things, at first glance, always make my heart sing. But it's those with an added twist of something else that will cut a deeper groove in my heart, make me do a double take after that initial look of appreciation. Something a little out-of-the-ordinary yet subtly so. Wit and humour rank high here and a bit of soul (as much as an inanimate object can muster) won't hurt. Things that are just plain pretty can get pretty boring after time. I like a mini headfuck thrown in sometimes and Slow And Steady Wins The Race does it for me as a fashion label, an ever-evolving conceptual art project and an astute piece of social commentary.

3 comments:

Top Bird said...

Yes, I do like a bit of wit in my fashion these days, and those ballet flats are RIGHT up my alley. Brilliant. xx

A dreamer said...

ahhahah i love the flats. I'm loving the canvas takes on 'it' bags. I'd love to see them collaborate with safeway/coles to make a green shopping bag in the shape of an 'it' bag.

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Top Bird -
They come in black with white type too, if you are interested. http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=SLOW-WZ2&c=Slow+%26+Steady+Wins+the+Race&d=Shoes


Dreamer -
Haha. It would be funny. They have done kind of the reverse, though - they made a leather version of the regular plastic grocery/bodega bag.