Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Glitter Mascara - Dewdrops On My Lashes






















From never writing about face paint to two back-to-back posts on the subject. In one day!

Gervy the make-up maniac/addict will be pleased. I think her secret mission is to slowly work me (and other sans-make-up people, friends or not) into wearing what she would call "flaw correctors" again.

On our shopping date on Saturday, I told her that lately, I've been feeling a real need for glitter mascara. In silver. And I don't even wear regular mascara. It must be a trickle-down effect from the previous need for coloured mascara from a few months ago that wasn't met or acted upon and has since been forgotten. Bright colours reminiscent of those that I used to buy from Shu Uemura when I was a teenager, like tangerine, hot pink, electric blue, lime green...

When she heard of my eye glitter-lust, I could feel the joy reverberating through her whole being, like a proud owner who's just taught her puppy a new trick, but she played it cool and kept her elation to herself, like the same pet owner would, not wanting to seem too pushy. Baby steps...baby steps, she must have thought and chanelled her energy into finding me one, stopping at every beauty counter in the stores.

Of course we didn't find any - Sod's Law, Murphy's Law, the Unspeakable Law...whatever you want to call it. The closest thing we found was a glitter eyeliner which I tried on my lashes to which Gervy said, "Oooh, looks like you've got raindrops on your eyelashes!". I liked that description. It conjured up a very pretty picture in my head. Hence the post title (which I've tweaked a little - "dewy eyes" vs "rainy eyes"?) and a more urgent need to find some.

The next day, I went to the only place in Sydney that was remotely similar to the trashy make-up heaven, Sasa, that we have in Singapore - a tiny Japanese cosmetic shop in Chinatown. Pay dirt! I grabbed the only silver one left.

Verdict: I had more glittery bits all over my face than on my lashes where they were meant to be. Not good for a contact lens wearer.

But fear not, an order has been placed with Poochie, the "personal shopper" in Singapore. Another one, hopefully one packed with more staying power and larger silver squares, is on its way. And I will be on mine to mirror ball eyes.

8 comments:

Gervy said...

OMG, you are on to me!!!

I can't believe you saw through my assumed laid-back attitude to you getting the glitter mascara to the real truth of me lusting for another makeover. I am wery impressed by your mind-reading skills.

This post has had me chuckling all evening, even through a super-dramatic episode of House. xxx

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

If I ever decide to go all the way with make-up one day, you'll get to brush on the first stroke of eyeshadow. Wruff! Wruff!

It was the season finale. Boo to no hottie House for a while. Did you watch "Life" after? xxx

Glowing Doll said...

I get my Japanese make-up fix from HK based sellers on ebay.

I think western cosmetics companies rip-off a lot from Eastern beauty trends.

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Hello Doll,
Definitely! Asia has got so many tiny treasure-troves filled with kawaii cuteness sprinkled in every mall. I miss them.

Gervy said...

Thank you LG, my sweet puppydog (usually I only call the mister that but I make an exception for you).

You upset me by suggesting that the most recent ep of House was the season finale. It was so bloody good I thought you must be right, but according this site there are still at least a couple more to go: http://housewiki.fox.com/page/House+Season+5

Have taped Life from last week but watched the week before and I think I will persist with it... there is something about the ginge Damian Lewis, although in no way is he as hot as House.

xxx

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Haha! Funny how the boys in our lives are both dogs!

Not the season finale?! But that's what Channel 10 said last night. Well, woohoo then!

Charlie Crews is a different kind of hot. And I never find ginger men hot.

Top Bird said...

Ooooh, I like the sound of the glittery eyeliner - very pretty.

Man, you've been busy churning out the blog posts of late. I'm just catching up now! xx

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

If only I can get the glitter to stay put! On my lashes. Not everywhere else!

Haha, you have been comment-leaving-happy too. Thank you! xx