Monday, 15 September 2008

Chasing Big Things

After our failed attempt at locating the first big thing, the Big Redback Spider, at the start of our drive, we've been diligently studying our maps and are happy to report that we've been successful in tracking down all the others that we've marked, and two "SURPRISE!" ones that weren't on our radar. Here's a quick round-up:

The Winner:





















Big Bunch of Bananas (Coffs Harbour, NSW)
We sighted this surprise as we were leaving the town on the Pacific Highway. I squealed and made the boyfriend do a pretty dangerous quick swerve into Cunningham's driveway.

I vote this my favourite Big Thing out of all that I've seen so far. It is very well-made, true-to-life (magnified a thousand times, of course) and not at all tacky. Like they commissioned a very good installation artist to produce it.

Big Pumpkin (Coffs Harbour, NSW) - This is a real Big Thing at Cummingham's roadside fruit and veg stall. It looks like a giant butt with many cracks.

The Biggest:





















Big Golden Guitar (Tamworth, NSW) - This is the last known Big Thing on our itinerary.

It's just...umm...big.

The Duds:

Big Banana (Coffs Harbour, NSW) - Bah! All the hype in the guidebooks. Wasn't even worth a stop.





















Avocado #1 (somewhere between Tweed Heads, Queensland and Murwillumbah, NSW) - We made such a huge detour just to see it. A complete waste of time. Yes, we are silly.





















Avocado #2 (down the road from Avocado #1) - We didn't expect to see a second one - a huge papier-mâché project gone wrong. #1 had a better finish.

Big Prawn (Ballina, NSW) - Another "SURPRISE!". Its size was impressive but I think it needs a new paint job - it looked like a very sick grey prawn.

For a complete list of big things in Australia, look here.

7 comments:

Glowing Doll said...

These are so cool

chou said...

Ah! I wish I had a pic of the huge corncob in Rochester, MN to add to your list. Great post!

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Hey Doll,
On our next driving holiday, we hope to see the Big Pineapple. I think it'll be the coolest.


Hello Chou,
I wish you did too!!!! Please stop at the next Big Thing you see and send me a photo. Anything, good or bad.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. x

Gervy said...

LG, you are turning into such a good Aussie. I think you should get some kind of award.

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Ms G,
I'd rather get a sponsor - an airline, a car rental company, a hotel chain or the Australia Tourism Board - who'll pay me to travel to see all of them.

KATLIN said...

Mmm bananas!! :)

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Haha! I used to eat banana-everything but in recent years, I've stopped eating them altogether except in a special banana and nut bread that my boss makes.