Wednesday, 30 April 2008

Went To Thrifting Heaven And Back

Besides going to Bird yesterday, I also did my usual post-chiro-appointment op shops and secondhand-land "circuit" at the Cleveland Street end of Surry Hills.

There wasn't much to be had but at the Cleveland Street's St Vinnies, I spotted a stack of flyers announcing the opening of a brand-new branch in the neighbourhood and a 25% discount on everything if a flyer is presented on the opening day - Tuesday 29 April 2008. What luck! Wasn't sure about claiming the discount, with the goods already so cheap and their profit going to charity and all, but I was excited with the prospect of a new thrifting frontier. So off I trotted, a 10 minutes' walk to the "corner of Devonshire and Elizabeth Streets", according to that precious bit of paper.

I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, but boy, was I surprised when I walked through those modest two-panel glass doors to be greeted by a huge (well, for rent-high Surry Hills) shop space filled with tidy racks and racks of clothes, all colour coded and "departmentalised", with narrow aisles in between, a homeware section on the mezzanine level, a furniture and electrical appliances corner...it was like a mini supermart. And I've never seen so many people in an op shop at any one time - young local hipsters/scenesters types, suits from the office blocks nearby on their lunch breaks, yummy mommies with babies in pram (not a good idea - the very narrow aisles), foreign students from the language school next door and the less fortunate people that these opportunity shops were originally meant for.

The first thing I picked up from the shelves flanking the entrance stacked full with accessories was this huge geometric print silk scarf in one of my favourite colour combos - brown and different shades of all the greens I love.

Then I started working the racks. It's really like being a kid let loose in a candy store. There was just so much to take in and to take to the changing room.














This white confection of frills, ruffles, embroidery and bows has to be my top buy of the day! A vintage piece of undergarment - a sheer slip with a poufy tulle pettiskirt attached. I tried it over my clothes and that got me thinking - with the right outfit, I might just wear it over instead of under. It's too pretty to be kept under wraps.


















Some other choice picks:-

Bows! Bows! Bows!










A tiny old purse. Reminds me of deckchairs - thick stripey canvas and dark brown vinyl.



I spent nearly an hour in the shop before I went to the check-out with an armful of loot, still contemplating the use of my flyer in exchange for a discount as I joined the long queue. Nearly everyone before me (even a man in an expensive suit asking if he could pay with his Amex Titanium!) used theirs so that ended the battle that the angel and devil were fighting in my head - Angel - 0, Devil - 1.

Looking forward to going with the boyfriend this weekend. He'll have fun in the men's and the secondhand DVD/CD sections. And hope the vintage step-stool is still there for him to carry home for me.

6 comments:

Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Wow, that scarf, the slip--great finds!

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Hope there'll be greater finds this weekend.

A dreamer said...

you're right, that frilly dress is too good to be worn on the inside.
i'd like to see what you make of it.

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Hey Dreamer, I'm not a what-I-wore-today photos kind of girl. Sorry. So I might have to give you just a written description of all the components when I do finally wear it. It needs a really good clean first.

Gervy said...

Love both the dress and the scarf.

Can you please teach me how to thrift? The few times I've tried, I get overwhelmed by the musty smell and the confusion and run away.

the likkle girl who wurves pwetty things said...

Haha, Gervy, it's just like shopping, only in a less glam environment. The smell, and sometimes dust, get to me and my very sensitive nose too. I don't have obsessive-compulsive disorder but when I get home from thrifting, I feel the need to really scrub my hands with loads of soap right away, sometimes even have a shower. But on good days, it's all really worth it.